Updated: Jan 22, 2020
Amazon has not officially provided support for Alexa devices in South Africa yet and this means that the Alexa App is not immediately available on the Play Store. However, you can configure your Alexa device using the web app easily with no additional setup. If you have a Smart Home in South Africa, would like to use the mobile app (which we recommend) and you have an Android device, you can follow the steps below.
If you do not yet have an Alexa device or would like to purchase another for you South African Smart Home they are available here.
1. To start off you need to download a VPN. There are many available for free on the Google Play Store. We recommend the use of Turbo VPN.
2. Turn on the VPN. Make sure to connect to the United States. On Turbo VPN this can be done by clicking on the icon in the top right.
3. After the VPN is connected, the next step is to clear the Data of your Google play store. To do this go to Settings->Apps->Google Play Store and tap Storage. Remember to clear the data along with the cache.
4. After this is cleared hit the force stop button on the app info page.
5. Search for the Alexa app through a web browser not in the Google play store. There should be a link to the app on the play store at the top of the page. The link will take you to the play store where you should now be able to install the Alexa app.
6. If the play store asks you to complete account set up click the skip button. The app should now start downloading.
7. After the app is downloaded you can turn off the VPN and your store will go back to normal.